Saturday, September 11, 2010

Just a Bunch of Stuff


ANOTHER GREAT LOCATION FOR A WALK:
As promised, I am featuring another favorite place for a nice, long walk. Today's selection is Market Common off Farrow Parkway in Myrtle Beach. This is a lovely, upscale area with many stores and unique shops. Some offices have now taken up residence here as well. It is a mixed use neighborhood with commercial and residential harmoniously coexisting, and it is extremely well maintained. The sidewalks are lined with palm trees, maple trees, seasonal flowers, and charming double head street lighting. Wooden tables, chairs, benches and rockers are plentiful just in case you need to rest those aching feet during your walk.
During my Sept. 10, 2010 walk, I noticed that it is particularly pleasant to navigate the sidewalks now that the family tourist season has shifted into the golf tourist season. This venue includes a small play area, where the little ones can climb and slide, as well as an area where chess aficionados can participate in a quick game with oversize chess pieces. Some of the restaurants offer outdoor dining, which can be a fascinating activity for avid people watchers on a beautiful, blue sky day.
Many people choose to walk their treasured pets at Market Common, and several of the stores welcome pet owners along with their pooches. Strolling along to the sound of outdoor music that is definitely from the baby boomer era, I listened to songs that I hadn't heard in years!
Market Common is a perfect place to take in a movie, purchase a new book, shop for gifts or clothing, and enjoy a pleasant dining experience.....or just take that long walk for daily exercise. Visit www.marketcommonmb.com for a list of fabulous shops and restaurants....but that's not all. During your walk, don't forget to continue on Howard Avenue and visit some stores that are not listed in the complex directory because they are just a little bit further down the street from the main area. One gem is Regan's Irish Cottage at 2834B Howard Avenue. You'll love all of the authentic Irish items from which to choose, and say hi to Theresa when you stop in. She will help you find the perfect Irish gift.

Ereaders:
Having made the decision to take the plunge and buy an Ereader, I just spent hours researching the differences between Amazon's Kindle and the Barnes and Noble Nook. I swore when we moved from New York to South Carolina that I was never going to accumulate the collection of books that I had to dispose of when we moved. Although I kept many favorites, including any books that were signed by authors whom I have had the pleasure of meeting, I was not going to turn this home into a library. We have lived here for three years, and I am shocked to see the number of new books I have collected.
I resisted purchasing an Ereader for a long time, waiting for the prices to slowly decline, the technology to be perfected, and the bugs to be squashed through trial and error. I also love to hold an actual book in my hand, turning the pages with anticipation; however, I believe that now is the time. I have no more bookshelf space, and when I travel I don't want to load my luggage with heavy books because of the airline weight restrictions and I can't possibly carry all of my reading material plus projects on which I'm working on board, so the obvious solution is a wireless reading device. Now for the big question!!! Kindle or Nook, both of which have a variety of wonderful features, as well as minor issues that could sway me either way. As of this moment, I can go to Barnes and Noble and immediately purchase a Nook, enjoying the benefit of conferring with a real person who will help me begin this journey. There are some advantages with Kindle, but the demand for the newest versions are so enormous, they are actually out of stock at Amazon. I also read some interesting information about battery replacement issues that have me leaning toward the Nook. I'll let you know what I finally decide, and I promise to take you along on this Ereader journey in future blog posts.

2011 Memoir Preservation Cruise to Bermuda:
This is going to be such an incredibly exciting time. Please join us, and tell friends and family all about it! Visit www.awriterspresence.com for details! Memoir writing workshops along with loads of fun, and the opportunity to benefit a worthy organization, CASA (Citizens Against Spouse Abuse). Join us for the time of your life!

Never Say Perfect:
In between speaking to groups, teaching workshops, working with clients, traveling, researching, marketing, and accounting, I am still finalizing the editing process for this novel. I don't want to rush any part of it, as I want it to be a page turner that you simply can't stop reading. I'll let you know when the manuscript is ready to go and I am seeking an agent. Stay tuned.

Inspiration:
What does prayer give you? It offers hope, peace, acknowledgment that the situation is beyond your control and in Higher Hands. We don't always understand why things happen, but we are comforted that we are not alone in handling whatever may arise.
This is the confidence we have in approaching God; that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. I John 5:14 NIV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 NIV

Until next time, don't forget to be working on your memoir writing! Don't take your stories to the grave!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment