“Writing is a solitary activity,” I heard someone say. “Why on earth would I want to join a memoir group?”
We all need some peeps--people with whom we can share life and experiences. While it is true that the act of writing for a memoir project is typically accomplished as a solo exercise, there are three good reasons to locate and enlist in a memoir writing group:
1-Hearing the stories of others will help generate more of your own memories. I have often heard a memoir group writer say something similar to, “Oh, Laura’s story about her travel adventure reminded me of a trip I took to the Grand Canyon. I had forgotten all about that!”
2-Hearing the stories of others could make us better writers. As we listen to the style in which others have chosen to write their stories, it encourages us to become better writers. We learn not to simply list facts and dates, but to include how we felt about those experiences and how people, places and events had a deeper level impact on us. We are privileged to learn about the incidents and influences that have shaped the lives of other writers and discover how they chose to describe the details.
3-Joining a memoir writing group enables us to bond with others and make new friends. I have seen it happen every time I hold a workshop series or form a group. People with the same goals tend to bond. They “get” each other and understand the obstacles faced in the project. They relate. They inspire. They sympathize.
If you need that little nudge to begin or continue a memoir writing project, step out of your routine and visit a memoir writing group. It is a special way to meet new friends and make progress on your written legacy. Remember that preserving our stories builds a bridge between generations!
Life Story Lunch Bunch
· 2nd Tuesday of each month
· 11:15 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.
· Location-Ryan’s-8671 Highway 17 Bypass-Surfside Beach, SC 29575
· Lunch & learn to capture & preserve our life stories to share with loved ones & future generations
· Great for beginners, as well as those who have already started a memoir project
· Trigger important memories to share as we make new friends!
· Keeps memoir writers motivated to work on their life story projects
· Cost: Pay for lunch at entrance to restaurant-$7.00 enormous buffet, $2.19 beverage + wait staff tip = $11 to $12.00 total for meal. Note-Sign up at Ryan’s to receive coupons for greater discount. Eat a gigantic lunch, and you won’t be hungry at dinnertime!
Workshop fee: $7.00 advance registration & payment OR $8.00 drop in registration. Workshop fee paid to A Writer’s Presence, LLC-6313 Longwood Drive Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
Call Mary Anne Benedetto , author of 7 Easy Steps to Memoir Writing: Build a Priceless Legacy One Story at a Time!, at 843-215-4676 to register in advance each month. Come on out and join us for lunch, making progress on your memoir project and having just plain ole’ fun!
Call or email Mary Anne at email@example.com if you have any questions. Hope to see you there!
See you soon!
Mary Anne Benedetto
Author of Eyelash, 7 Easy Steps to Memoir Writing: Build a Priceless Legacy One Story at a Time!, Never Say Perfect, From Italy with Love & Limoncello and Write Your Pet's Life Story in 7 Easy Steps!