Monday, June 8, 2009

One Life to Live and Hip Hop Abs

One Life to Live:



I heard a comment on the radio today that referred to "One Life to Live". It instantly reminded me of several things:




  • The soap opera that premiered on July 15, 1968. I had just completed my junior year of high school in Southern CA.

  • The Clairol commercial "If I've one life...let me live it as a blonde!"

  • The Dolly Parton quote "I'm not offended by dumb blonde jokes because I know that I'm not dumb. I also know I'm not blonde."

I'm wondering if I was subconsciously influenced by the Clairol commercial because I've been living life as a blonde for just about two decades. Occasionally, Fred inquires whether or not I will ever return to being a brunette, and I always justify my blondeness by saying, "I don't think so, honey. When the grays start to take over, it's best to go lighter." I don't believe that he's convinced.


The real point is this. I stopped to consider how short this life really is in view of eternity, which is definitely a concept that is tough to grasp sometimes. What we do here and now--every day--does matter. My goal is to hopefully be able to look back and feel that my life made a positive difference for others. I don't want to live my one life feeling angry and frustrated with people whom God has placed in my path, even if their personalities and mine will never gel. (I'm not talking about Fred--this is just an example!) Regardless of how you slice it, life is short--too short not to try to make every day count. Too short not to do things for God's glory rather than our own, tricky as that can be sometimes!


Words of wisdom:


Every day, we're faced with choices. We can make wise decisions....or we can make foolish ones. For instance, as I realized yesterday, choosing to eat a taco while driving and wearing a white top is not a stellar choice. You know that you really want to do it, but you know that if you do, you'll definitely have a mess on your hands. I should have waited. Lesson learned. Hey, maybe I can use that in my new book!

Hip Hop Abs:


For all of you doubters out there, Fred has participated in Hip Hop Abs with me twice. I was very impressed at how he stayed right with the program--with one exception. On the second day, during the middle of the DVD, the telephone rang. Fred made a mad dash for the telephone, announcing, "I'm sure it's for me!" He looked a tad disappointed when the telephone became silent after the one initial ring, and he dejectedly returned to his position in the exercise routine. He's back on the road now, and probably grateful to be far away from Hip Hop Abs!! Beth, thanks for introducing me to DVD exercise. You were my inspiration.

See y'all soon.

2 comments:

  1. While reading your blog it reminded me of the chorus to Matthew West's new song "The Motions." I agree with you that we have one life to live and this year my priority has been listening to God’s will and following his calling. I never want to have to say "I wish" or "I regret." The lyrics of the chorus have become my new mantra...

    Chorus:
    I don’t wanna go through the motions
    I don’t wanna go one more day
    Without Your all consuming passion inside of me
    I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking
    What if I had given everything?
    Instead of going through the motions

    Thanks for the reminder of just how short life really is. You're words inspire me and always have perfect timing! Glad to hear that you'll be blogging more frequently.

    As for the blonde vs brunette dilmena, my only response (as a once upon a time brunette) is "Yeah Gray... I've earned every one!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually get chills every time I hear that song--it's definitely one of my all time favorites! Thank you for the comment, as it is always great to hear from you!! Hoping that your plans are, by His amazing grace, materializing beautifully.

    ReplyDelete