Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Capturing Your Unique Story

Writing workshop:

I just finished a private workshop series with five delightful ladies, each of whom arrived at last night's session with their first story relative to a memory or series of memories. As I sat there listening to each story being read aloud, I marveled at the diverse subject matter being presented by this group. They had spent time deeply searching their memory banks for a topic or theme that they felt personally compelled to write about for their very first selection, and each was beyond impressive. Hearing the stories of others is one way to generate more and more of your own memories. This was such an endearing group, and it simply reinforces why I have chosen to teach memoir writing workshops. I enjoy seeing the looks on their faces that tells me that they now know that, in time and with effort, they can really complete this project. I love this calling!

Update on the bicycle seat situation:

If you have been following this blog, you are aware that my husband, Fred, refuses to ride his new bicycle because he believes that the seat was designed for something other than the male anatomy. At one point, he threatened to place a pillow on the seat in order to ride the bike. (If he does that, he's riding in this neighborhood ALONE!)

When I was at Huntington Beach last week, the sight of a bicycle whose owner must be related to Fred, was almost more than I could fathom. I was so wishing I had brought my camera. The owner of this bike had placed a large, thick chunk of yellow foam rubber on the seat and secured it with miles of duct tape. Okay, let's give him credit for being innovative, but I must say that I've never seen anything quite like this.

Signing off for now. Think about writing your stories to share with loved ones--your unique experiences--capturing a composition of you...for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment